The Throat Chakra is the fifth chakra and is the body’s communication hub. The Throat Chakra is where you speak your truth, find your voice, and express how you feel vocally. Your Throat Chakra is also where you want to be heard and hear what someone else is saying to you.
When stressed, you tend to hold a lot of stress and emotions in your shoulders, back, and neck area, which causes tension. From the book “MetaAnatomy, the reason for this is because the Throat Chakra is the “tollbooth between the emotions and mind.” Also known as the Vishuddha, the Throat Chakra is associated with more than your throat - it is a part of the lips, ears, back of the neck, and upper back/shoulder area.
Did you know the Throat Chakra works in conjunction with the Sacral Chakra? The Sacral Chakra is where you feel the creative juices flow with ideas that need to be manifested. When you feel a creative idea, by speaking it into existence, you guide the creative energy through your body and out through your mouth, allowing the Throat Chakra to provide such a creative idea with a voice.
How do I discover if my Throat Chakra is out of balance?
A clear way to know if your Throat Chakra is blocked is when you want to speak up about an issue, but you cannot muster the nerve to say it; you feel as if something is in your way. An imbalance in this chakra can manifest to fear of public speaking or speaking in a quiet voice that goes unheard. Let’s dive deeper into discovering other aspects of our body when the Throat Chakra is out of balance.
To keep the “tollbooth” flowing efficiently between your emotions and mind, discover the courage within you from your Root Chakra. This will help ease the tension and emotions blocking your Throat Chakra. If your Throat Chakra is blocked, a few things to look out for emotionally are:
- Low-Self Esteem
Your posture can be the first inclination if a chakra is blocked. Pay attention to how your posture is when you are sitting or standing. If you notice your shoulders are slumped forward, or the shoulders are up by the ears, take a deep breath and roll your shoulders back and down. Your posture can improve the blood flow and the energy between each chakra to move swiftly throughout your body. Besides your posture, a blocked Throat Chakra can manifest:
- Poor Posture
- Thyroid Problems
- Sore Throat
- Tight Shoulders
- Sinus Infections
It is essential for you to speak out when you are feeling emotions come up. Lacking the ability to do so can push them into areas of your body, creating tension and sometimes manifesting problems. When the Throat Chakra is blocked, other ways it can display emotionally for you are:
- Hesitation to speak about emotions
- Aggressive behavior
- A sense of feeling misunderstood by others around you
- Lacking the proper words to describe how you are feeling
Speaking out a creative idea or expressing the emotions you are feeling is an excellent way to align the Throat Chakra. Along with that, your words have power. Stand confidently when expressing how you feel and when stating the following affirmations:
- I speak my truth lovingly
- By voicing my needs, dreams, and joys, I manifest my best life
- I am confident to ask for what I want
- I Am Heard
- Neck rolls and gentle neck stretches
- Lion’s Breath (Simhasana) – While standing, deeply inhale through your nose while lifting your hands into the air. Extend your tongue, open your eyes wide, and create an audible sound in your throat as you exhale and claw the air downward with your hands.
- Upward Facing Dog Pose (Urdhva Mukha Svanasana) - This classic pose is an excellent pose that improves posture, stretches the chest, shoulders, and abdomen, and strengthens the arms and wrists. Move slowly with your breath and ease your way into this posture.
- Seated Cat-Cow - As you inhale, your head and tail move back, and as you exhale, your head and tail curl forward and in. This complete undulation of the spine creates compression and release action in the throat.
Meditation and Mudra
The mudra for the Throat Chakra is called the Vishuddah Mudra, and it is an excellent way to open up the Throat Chakra in meditation. This is one of my go-to mudra’s to help me dive deep into myself. To perform this:
- Bring the tips of the thumb and the middle finger to the touch. Do this while meditating or taking a short break from work or studying. The Vishuddha mudra is often practiced along with chanting the sound “H-A-A-A-A-M.” (It is a long “A” sound). The fingers are interlaced with the tips of the thumbs touching, and the hands can rest in the lap as the mudra and the sound of “Ham” move prana around the body and heal the throat chakra.
Using Your Other Senses to Unblock The Throat Chakra
The Throat Chakra is associated with the color blue. Blue is the color of communication and gives us the power to speak the truth. Since the Throat Chakra is about sound and expression, using your sound by singing proudly in the shower, shouting into a pillow, or humming are great ways to activate this chakra. Aside from sound, there are other ways to activate and balance your Throat Chakra by using your other senses, such as:
- Blueberries (excellent source of antioxidants)
- Herbal Tea
- Raw Honey
- Lapis Lazuli
- Blue Kyanite
Using the suggestions above is a great way to activate the Throat Chakra and can help ease the balancing process. The most important thing to remember is to trust and love yourself when it is time to express your feelings. The fear of saying how you feel limits the potential of the person you can be. Resist self-doubt and have a conversation with it through journaling and meditation. “Feelings are something you have, not something you are.” It is ok to allow the feeling of self-doubt, thank the feeling for helping to protect you, then allow the self-doubt to take on a different job, such as confidence and excitement.
Stand out in this extraordinary world by wearing the Cascade Crop with the affirmation “I AM Heard” stitched along the collarbone, letting everyone know you stand in power when you express yourself. This functional top has everything you’re looking for to promote daily mindfulness and will become the headliner of your wardrobe. Invite tranquility into your life in this one-of-a-kind long-sleeved, perfectly fitted crop top. You’ll look simply smashing as you attract the laws of the universe. Optimal for manifesting positive energy and cultivating happiness.
How Can You Connect With Your Throat Chakra and Your Community?
The Women's Global Empowerment Fund is a profound way to provide a voice and empowerment to women and their families. The WGEF is empowering women to succeed as a leader for their children and their community. Thousands of women have attended their literacy program and leadership development training and have participated in their annual drama festival. In 2020 during the midst of a pandemic, the WGEF earned a spot on the 2020 list of Top Rated Nonprofits!
Their mission is to support women through economic, social, and political programs, creating opportunities while addressing inequality; strengthening families and communities. Since 2008, the WGEF has provided thousands of loans, enabling women to create and build opportunities in nearly every business sector. For more information, head to wgefund.org.
With Love & Light